As the winter season sets in, it's important to prioritise your health and strengthen your immune system to ward off common illnesses. Cold weather, coupled with fewer hours of daylight, can sometimes take a toll on our wellbeing.
Fortunately, there are plenty of delicious and nutritious foods that can help fortify our immune system during this time.
Here are 7 winter wellness foods that can give your immune system the boost it needs:
1. Citrus Fruits: When you think of Vitamin C, citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and lemons often come to mind. These fruits are not only refreshing and tangy but also rich in immune-boosting Vitamin C. Start your day with a glass of fresh orange juice or incorporate citrus segments into your favourite winter salads for a zesty and nourishing kick.
2. Garlic: This pungent bulb not only adds flavour to your dishes but also provides numerous health benefits. Garlic is known for its immune-enhancing properties and may help reduce the severity of cold and flu symptoms. Incorporate garlic into your cooking by adding it to soups, stir-fries, or roasted vegetables.
3. Ginger: With its warming and soothing properties, ginger is an excellent spice to include in your winter wellness routine. It has been used for centuries to support digestion and boost the immune system. Brew a cup of ginger tea, add grated ginger to your meals, or enjoy a homemade ginger-infused smoothie for an extra immune-boosting punch.
4: Berries: Despite the chilly weather, you can still enjoy the antioxidant-rich goodness of berries. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are not only sweet and delicious but also packed with immune-boosting compounds. Sprinkle them on your breakfast cereal, blend them into smoothies, or enjoy them as a guilt-free snack.
5. Leafy Greens: Don't forget to load up on your leafy greens during winter. Spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and other dark, leafy greens are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support overall health and immune function. Incorporate them into soups, stews, salads, or sauté them as a nutritious side dish.
6. Yogurt: Probiotics, often found in yogurt, can play a vital role in supporting your immune system. Look for plain, unsweetened yogurt with live and active cultures to ensure you're getting the maximum benefit. Enjoy it as a snack, add it to smoothies, or use it as a base for a creamy winter soup.
7. Nuts and Seeds: Packed with essential nutrients like vitamin E, zinc, and healthy fats, nuts and seeds make a fantastic winter wellness snack. Almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are excellent choices to boost your immune system. Grab a handful as a quick and nutritious pick-me-up between meals.
Remember, nourishing your body with a variety of wholesome foods is key to maintaining a strong immune system. Combine these immune-boosting foods with regular exercise, adequate sleep, and stress management for optimal winter wellness.
Want a self-care box of Winter Wellness with timely treats including a bottle of Vitamin C tablets conveniently delivered to your doorstep? Choose your box type and make sure to subscribe to MyTreat, starting in June! We offer 3 different box options to suit your budget. The more you pay, the more treats and value you receive! Only Plus and LUXE includes the Red Seal Vitamin C 1000mg Tablets so choose wisely:
🍃 Body Box $38.95 per month (with over $100 of value per box!)