There's something about a warm, comforting bowl of pasta that just hits the spot after a long, hard day. And when it's smothered in a creamy, cheesy sauce with juicy pieces of chicken, it's even better. That's why I'm excited to share my recipe for Creamy Cheesy Chicken pasta - it's easy to make, budget-friendly, and absolutely delicious.
Making sure that you're well-fed and nourished with good food is crucial not only to maintaining a healthy body but also to promoting a happy, healthy mind. The food we eat provides our bodies and brains with the nutrients and energy we need to function optimally, and when we're not getting enough of the right nutrients, it can impact our mood, energy levels, and overall well-being. As someone who deals with anxiety every single day of my life, I am always focused on making sure my body has food. Having an empty tummy and a bad mood just intensifies my anxiety 100% and can effect my work life, parenting skills and self love.
I first came up with this recipe when I was looking for a quick dinner that wasn't takeout and could feed my family of four. I had had a tough week at work, and I wanted something that would be comforting and satisfying. I dug through my pantry and pulled out a few staple ingredients, and with some experimentation, I came up with this recipe.
What I love about this dish is that it's so adaptable. You can add in whatever veggies you have on hand - I like to throw in some broccoli or spinach for a little extra nutrition that of course my 6 and 3 year old ignore! But also if you're feeling really fancy, you can top it off with some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
With just a few simple ingredients and 30 minutes of your time, you can have a comforting, delicious meal that your whole family will love. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. It's become a staple in our weekly meal rotation, and I know it will in yours too.
2 Garlic cloves chopped
150g of Butter
3 Tablespoons of Flour
1 to 1/12 cups of milk
2 cups of grated cheese, Tasty or Edam works best.
3 cups of Pasta
½ a cooked chicken from your local supermarket
- Fill a decent sized pot up with water, add in some salt. Place on the stove and set to boil.
- Chop your garlic into small pieces and place in a frying pan with the butter.
- Allow the butter to melt and cook garlic until fragrant.
- Add your pasta into your boiling water. Cook for 15 minutes or until al dente.
- In your frying pan, add in your 3 tablespoons of flour. Whisk ingredients gently together until it forms a paste. (This won’t take long)
- Add your milk little by little stirring with a whisk gently until all milk is mixed with your flour/butter.
- Your sauce should be semi thick, if it is too dry add in some more milk until you are happy with the consistency.
- Add in ¾ of your cheese OR as much cheese as you like, I have no quota here.
- If you are adding in veggies, now is the time to steam them in the microwave or pot until just soft to the bite.
- Shred your roasted chicken and place into your sauce.
- Add in salt and pepper to your liking.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and pop into the frying pan with your sauce. Mix together.
- Add in your additional steamed veggies now, mix together.
- Heap a mighty spoonful onto your plate and garnish with the remaining cheese. OR Pop it into an over proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake until the cheese is golden brown.